Ireland – Donegal Bluestack Way – 5 Day – Independent Walking Holiday
Along this route you will experience the wild nature of the Donegal countryside as you hike across the Bluestack Mountains, which is a group of rolling, pleasant hills. Starting in the town of Donegal, you will experience scenic Lough Eske, ancient Glencolmcille, impressive coastal cliffs with all its multiple bird species and plant life, on a riverside route to Ardara.
DAY 1 DONEGAL TOWN
Take public transport from Dublin to Donegal Town where you will spend the first two nights. Public transport takes approximately 3.5 hours
DAY 2 OWENBOY TO DONEGAL TOWN Distance: 19.2 Km, Ascent: 477 m, Walking time: 5 to 6 hrs
Your tour of the Donegal and Bluestack Way starts with a taxi ride to the townland of Owenboy. Follow the trail across the foothills of Banagher to cross the River Eglish and along by the stunning shores of Lough Eske, finishing in Donegal Town.
DAY 3 OWENBOY TO THE VILLAGE OF GLENTIES Distance: 21.6 Km, Ascent: 624 m, Descent: 708,Walking time: 6/7 hrs
This walk takes you along an old bog road and farmland that takes you on a gorgeoussection across the foothills of the Bluestacks Mountains to end your walk in the village of Glenties.
DAY 4 GLENTIES TO ARDARA Distance: 12.31 Km, Ascent: 132 m, Walking time: 3/4 hrs
Leaving Glenties, you walk along peaceful back roads to arrive at the banks of the Owentocker River. Following the bank of the river, this wondering trail brings you into the village of Ardara.
DAY 5 DEPART
Depart for your journey home.
Tour Pricing & Dates
5 Day Tour – €490 pps
Single Supplement – +€100
Dates – March to October
Difficulty – Easy
Accommodation – B&B
- 4 nights B&B
- All accommodation is pre-booked in approved family-run guesthouses with all rooms en-suite
- Breakfast is supplied each day
- Maps and waterproof route notes, both trails have been walked and checked by Christopher from Footfalls
- Luggage Transfers daily while you walk with a small day pack
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation and back at the end of the tour
- Full back up service should you require it while on our tour
Additional services available
- Transfers from point of arrival to start of tour in Donegal Town and from end of tour in Ardara
- Packed lunches
- Evening meals